Here's the Christmas Meme I got from my "friend" Frank Murphy. Rules for the game include:
Welcome to the Christmas edition of "Getting to Know Your Friends."
1. Wrapping or gift bags? Wrapping. Gift bags are lame.
2. Real or artificial tree? We've had both but mostly go with a real one. This year's tree is not only fake, it is pink.
3. When do you put up the tree? Usually sometime between Thanksgiving and December 10th. Putting up the tree definitely falls outside of my jurisdiction though, so it's whenever Donna and our manslave, Marty decide.
4. When do you take the tree down? That varies year to year. Ideally, by 5 January I believe. Last year I kept track of one house on the Island that still had theirs up on St. Patrick's Day.
5. Do you like egg nog? I love it so. I used to drink it quite liberally but now to keep my girlish figure I buy the reduced calorie eggnog and just use it as a flavor shot in a glass of skim milk.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? Unfortunately, since the accident*, I don't remember a single Christmas as a child. Knowing my parents though, I am sure I got everything I ever wanted.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes! All except the Baby Jesus. We have cows, sheep, pigs, dogs, and a donkey year round, not just at the holidays.
8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Hmmm, I seem to remember being broken down on the side of the road many years ago during a snowstorm on Christmas Day. Bad surprise.
9. Mail or email Christmas cards? Emailing Christmas cards is not like sending Christmas cards at all, unless attached to a gift card or something. Then it makes sense.
10. Favorite Christmas Movie? "It's A Wonderful Life" is not only my favorite Christmas movie but it is my all-time favorite movie too. God Bless the genius of director Frank Capra and the humanity of Jimmy Stewart.
11. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Year round but with an emphasis on really keeping my eyes open starting about 1 October.
12. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? My late mother used to mail me her homemade fudge at the holidays. I miss them both, especially this time of year.
13. Clear lights or colored on the tree? I think we used both this year. Did I mention our tree is pink? There is no light macho enough to erase that fact.
14. Favorite Christmas song? No fair, no fair. I have one whole iPod of only Christmas music! Putting me on the spot, I'll say...um....how about..... brain.... melting down......okay, name one....."Please Come Home For Christmas" by Charles Brown. I was such a fan of his I even went to his funeral. True.
15. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Almost always at home. Our tradition is Chinese takeout and go to the movies on Christmas Day. This year we'll see "Juno."
16. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? I always forget Tito.
17. Angel on the tree top or a star? Neither. This year we have a lighted crystal ornament near the top though and it's pretty cool.
18. Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning? We sometimes do one Christmas Eve and the rest Christmas Day.
19. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Christmas memes.
20. Do you decorate your tree in any specific theme or color? No, unless pink is a color.
21. What do you leave for Santa? A roaring fire in the fireplace! He complains but if he didn't want to get burned he's come in through the garage like everyone else.
22. Least favorite holiday song? "Twelve Days Of Christmas." Sooo long and repetitive. And boring. And repetitive.
23. Favorite ornament? We have a bulldog ornament that reminds me of a special young lady.
24. Family tradition? Yes, Donna somehow finds out what her best gift is every year before Christmas. Guess who knew about the teepee two weeks ago?
25. Ever been to Midnight Mass? A few times. Two years ago we went to one in Hawaii where we were vacationing. We'll never forget it. They had a very pretty member of the congregation doing interpretive Native dancing to the Christmas songs the band was playing. Her budding teenage sexuality combined with her too-small by two-sizes dress had many of us not thinking about Jesus during the service.
Here's where I am supposed to tag seven other bloggers but I am not going to. No one needs homework at Christmastime!!!
Peace out, everybody.
*Sorry, I don't remember the accident either.